Do you want to add some light and ventilation to your garage without having to open the door? Perhaps you’ve tried installing a security screen, but it’s just not working. Or maybe you have a small and cramped garage that doesn’t allow for a full-sized door?
If you’re looking for an easy and affordable way to add some functionality above to your garage door, consider installing garage door window inserts.
These inserts come in a variety of shapes and sizes and can be installed easily using simple tools. They’re a great way to allow natural light and ventilation to flow into your garage. It will keep your kids & pets safe and your garage door still functional.
Window inserts are a great way to solve this, and they’re easy to make yourself. We will discuss tips for DIY garage door window insert installation in this article.
Garage Door Windows Advantages
Garage door windows have many advantages over regular windows. They are typically less expensive to replace, provide better insulation for the garage, and can be sealed to keep out moisture and pests. Garage door windows also have a variety of shapes and sizes that can suit different homes. Below are some most notable advantages of garage door windows.
- Use natural light. Natural light is beneficial to every living area, including your parking and storage. Garage door windows let light into your garage. It gives in enough natural light, making the space brighter and more pleasant to the eyes.
- Modern & appeal look. If your garage is visible from the road, the curb appeal of your garage door is important. Garage door windows may give a touch of modernity and elegance to your home’s exterior. Making them valuable for reasons other than practicality.
- Easy to replace. Your garage door windows can be replaced or installed at any time. You should enjoy your garage door windows for the rest of your life, but you don’t have to commit yourself to them if the model (or even your taste) changes.
- Easy to customize. There are many models to select from when purchasing windows inserts. Choosing based on your preference is a simple way to give your home some personality and set it apart from your neighbors’ garage.
- More secure. They are generally more secure because they are not accessible from the outside, and they can open faster than traditional windows.
- Work well in hot weather. Air conditioning can circulate through them more easily than through a window.
Garage Door Windows Materials
Garage door windows inserts, like garage doors, have a variety of materials to choose from. The most popular materials are glass, tempered glass, laminated glass, acrylic, and polycarbonate.
There are pros and cons to those materials, so you have to decide what you want in a garage door window. You have to decide which one is best for your specific needs.
Here are some key factors to consider when choosing a garage door window material:
- Glass: Most garage door windows are made of glass. Insulation can be added to them like regular windows, and they can be textured to keep people from seeing through them.
- Tempered glass. Tempered glass is about four to five times as strong as plain normal glass. In addition, when it breaks, it shatters into little, dull bits that shouldn’t cause wounds, making it safer than ordinary glass.
- Laminated glass. Two or more panes of glass are separated by a layer of vinyl in laminated, or insulated, glass. The glass pieces remain glued to the vinyl if shattered, posing no safety danger. Although it is not as sturdy as tempered glass, it provides superior insulation and can deflect up to 90% of UV radiation.
- Acrylic. Acrylic is a shatter-resistant polymer that is also known as plexiglass. It’s an excellent insulator that may also be colored. It is, however, prone to scuffing, unlike glass. Consider acrylic windows for a more cheap window with a more robust structure. They can be textured for more privacy.
- Polycarbonate: Polycarbonate: Polycarbonate, like acrylic, is more highly durable than glass. It is both more impact-resistance and more costly than acrylic.
Is It Possible to Buy Garage Door Windows?
A window panel on your garage door will provide a decorative feature while also making your garage area more usable for your family. The best part is that you don’t have to replace your garage door to install windows.
There are a few different ways to buy windows for garage doors. One way is to get replacement windows. Another way is to buy a set of double-hung windows that fit over the existing garage door panels. There are also sliding doors that come with their own set of windows, and you can buy a set of new or used garage door panels to fit these doors.
Can You Replace Garage Door Window Inserts?
Is it possible to change garage window inserts on your own? Replacing garage door window inserts is doable and can be an affordable DIY home improvement project. Some window inserts can be replaced by yourself with a fair amount of ease.
Be aware that not all of them can be done on your own. Garage door window inserts are designed to fit over the existing garage door windows. The fit is similar to a sun roof or cool roof; however, you can expect that it won’t be quite as easy to install.
If you’re installing a new garage door window insert, you’ll need to remove the existing glass. This is typically done with a special tool that allows you to break the glass without risking injury.
Once the glass is removed, you’ll need to cut the plastic window seal down to fit over the new insert. This can be a messy process, and you should wear protective gloves and goggles to prevent damage to your hands or eyes.
How To Remove Window Inserts From a Garage Door?
Over time, your garage doors can become dirty and need to be cleaned. Perhaps your glass on the window insert is broken and needs to be replaced.
On both occasions, you need to remove the window inserts and clean or replace them with new ones. This task is not difficult, but it can be done with a few simple steps. Here’s how to do it, just need a screwdriver and basic skills.
- Screw covers and screws should be removed. Remove screws from the window trim with a drill.
- Remove one side of the insert using a flat tool. Pry the window trim off the window using a flathead screwdriver or comparable flat tool.
- Remove the screws on the other side. Pull the glass carefully out of the garage door once all the screws have been removed.
- Simply reverse these instructions when you’re ready to replace the window.
What Size and Dimensions of Garage Door Windows?
Garage door windows come in a range of sizes to accommodate different sizes of garage doors. Do you have a small or large garage?
There are three common sizes for garage door windows: standard, double-wide, and triple-wide.
- Standard garage door windows measure 36 inches wide by 32 inches high.
- Double-wide garage door windows measure 48 inches wide by 36 inches high.
- Triple-wide garage door windows measure 60 inches wide by 48 inches high.
Are Garage Doors With Windows Safe?
Garage doors are often seen as a secure way to keep your home safe from the outside world. This is especially true if the garage door is closed and locked.
However, many people do not know that garage doors can also be dangerous windows. This is because when the door is open, it creates a gap in the security of the home. Anyone who has access to the garage can easily walk in and potentially rob or assault someone inside. In addition, this is the same for anyone who has access to the house.
To ensure that your garage door windows are safe, make sure they’re properly locked and monitored.
What Is the Cost of Adding Windows to a Garage Door?
The cost of installing a whole garage door ranges from $470 to $8,000 on average. The cost of adding windows ranges from $25 to $55 per window, including labor.
Do Garage Door Windows Add to House Value?
Garage door windows can add value to your home, depending on the condition and features of the window. If the window is in good condition and has a nice view, it could be worth up to 4 % of the house’s resale value.
With the average house price in the United States estimated at $206,300 in 2017, this might represent an increase of $8,000 to $14,000 only because of the modification of the garage door.
In conclusion, adding garage door window inserts is a great way to improve the look of your garage and make it more functional. They are easy to install and can be done in just a few hours. Window inserts can also help keep your garage warm in the winter and cool in the summer. So, if you are looking for a way to update your garage, consider adding some window inserts.